Saturday, May 23, 2009

What to do with fondue

I recently made chocolate fondue, and was struck by the lack of info on what to do with the leftover fondue. A google search revealed little, except for a rather disturbing mention by a caterer that chocolate fountains in which guests have dipped food can be reused at other events (while they did mention that this is somewhat unethical, they did not mention that it's completely disgusting).

A quick look at Joy of Cooking found that their chocolate covered banana recipe can be made using fondue - so I did.

But I still had plenty of fondue left, and no idea what to do with it. So I started looking around the kitchen while dipping bananas. I had some almonds - now they are dipped. Tonight I decided to make macaroons using the recipe from The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper. Options to the recipe include adding bittersweet cocoa powder, or semi-sweet chocolate chips. I decided I could slightly cut back on the sugar in the recipe, and use my fondue in the recipe (the added liquid was also offset by the handful of slivered almonds I added). Here's the modified version of my recipe, and a picture of the final creation, topped with one of those chocolate-dipped almonds.



Chocolate Almond Macaroons
2 jumbo eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 t almond extract
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup slivered almonds
3 T chocolate fondue

Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and almond extract. Mix in the coconut (a cup at a time). Mix in almonds and chocolate fondue. Dollop spoonfuls of macaroon mix onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 20 minutes.

No comments: