Saturday, May 23, 2009

In the Beginning

Why start a food blog? I'm a busy grad student and I already have too many hobbies, and too much work that I put off. The simple answer is that I'm going to spend the time on food anyway. I always write up and save my recipes, stuff notes into cookbooks, and file away food ideas and experiences that end up lost to the recesses of my memories. It's time I put them in one place: here.

I will one day reveal more about myself, my background, why I feel qualified for this pursuit, and hopefully demonstrate that it's not only narcissism that drives me. I hope to be honest and direct here. When researching, I often census many recipes of a style for the dish I want to create. I take the good parts, what I know will work, and put together something of my own. Sometimes the recipes I find are better that I'm capable of creating, and in that situation, I won't simply post the recipe here as my own. I cannot believe the amount of this sort of plagiarism in the internet food community. Of course, all cooks borrow - that is not the point. But as a service to you, it helps if I reveal where my ideas come from, especially since like ever foodie I have a stack of books and magazines at hand whenever I plan a meal.

As for the blog title, well, I'll reveal that one day.

No comments: